Monday, February 13, 2012

The History of Our Valentine's Days

Valentine's Day 2001 was the first holiday Christian and I shared as a dating couple. Although we had dated for several months, I was still living in Clemson until I moved to Atlanta that January for work. Let it be said that I was completely smitten. I am not sure that I believe in love at first sight but from the moment I met Christian, I was determined he was going to be mine (you'll have to ask him for his version of the story). Head over heels does not even begin to describe how I felt about this cute, smart, shy guy.

For our first Valentine's Day Christian made dinner reservations at the Horseradish Grill. Before we left on our date he presented me with a card that contained Matchbox Twenty concert tickets and a gerber daisy plant. To understand how I feel about gerber daisies, see the photo below. Christian rocked that first Valentine's Day. I was blown away. Not only is this the guy of my dreams but he gives awesome presents too. Score!


So you can understand my surprise when Valentine's Day 2002 rolled around and Christian mentioned about a week prior that he really didn't celebrate Valentine's Day. Since I have always been very mature and rational when my feelings are hurt, I sulked. That year Valentine's Day fell on a Friday. The day after Christian's anti-Valentine's Day proclamation, I informed him that since he didn't believe in Valentine's Day I would be spending the weekend in South Carolina. I don't think that is what he had in mind but I can be a bit stubborn and I indeed went home for the weekend.

Since our second Valentine's Day we have called a truce and now Christian always finds a special way to show his love.

I was especially impressed last year. I was three weeks postpartum, exhausted and overwhelmed. I had no card for Christian and I am not even sure I had showered or washed my hair in days. Christian and Jack ran an errand to Costco for diapers and pre-made dinners. When they returned Jack walked in with a dozen roses and Christian with chocolates. He had a sweet card for me and cooked my favorite nursing mama meal of spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I am still so in love with my cute, smart, shy guy.

This year I will celebrate with these guys and I all three have me completely smitten.


Happy Valentine's Day! Remember to tell your special someones that you love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment