Thursday, January 3, 2013

A New Year and a Family Challenge

2012 was a fun year. Having little children is equal parts enchantment and frustration. These little guys keep us on our toes but watching them learn and grow is a true privilege.

I am excited for 2013. The new year always feels refreshing. The days grow longer, the house is cleared of holiday clutter and we all resume our regular routines.

We are starting our year off with a family challenge. A few weeks ago I read in the business section of the Denver Post (you know me and the newspaper...love it!) about how to be smart with money. One suggestion was to have a month each year that you do not eat out. I loved this idea. At the end of last year we got a little lazy at our house and ate out a bit more than I like. Not only is it good for the pocket book to eat at home and brown bag it, but it is also a way to start the year off with healthier eating habits.

Truth be told, I am horrible at anything that requires abstinence. Just the mention of a restriction creates craving. So...we have a few cheats. First, it is my month to host supper club so I get to eat out that night. Second, Christian usually goes to happy hour with work buddies once a week so that won't count. Also, any off-site work events like travel are void of this restriction. Otherwise, I am going to try and keep us eating at home this month.

I am sure I will bend the rules at some point because I lack discipline. Plus the first sign of a sick kid usually sends me running for the take-out menus. But I really am going to try. Especially since it is my idea.

So to recap. No eating out. This includes coffee, special treats, dine-in or take-out. Feel free to join us with this month's challenge.

1 comment:

  1. That would be the challenge of all challenges for us! I really don't know that we could do it...let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete