Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Crappy Week - Literally

The last time Grace threw up was October 2011. The last time Jack threw up was February 2011. The last time I threw up? Let's just say it involved a Halloween party and strong punch. Apparently after four years of being pregnant or nursing babies, my body was not up for the mystery punch at my friend's annual Halloween bash last year.

Anyway, my point is that we don't throw up much. I have friends whose kids are always puking. But for some reason the Driver house seems to avoid most of the nasty stomach bugs. Well, this week Grace caught an epic virus. It started Tuesday morning when I tried to put little Gracie in her chair for breakfast and she refused. It wasn't your normal, "I am two and gonna do what I want," kind of fussing. She didn't seem well. I sat her down on the floor and she proceeded to vomit all over herself, her lovey and baby, and of course me. 

She didn't throw up the rest of the day and seemed fine on Wednesday except for a little diarrhea. (Is anyone actually still reading this?) I thought she was on the mend. Thursday morning she had two runny poops before I took Jack to preschool. I got everyone ready and Jack to school on time. 

With all the pooping I didn't manage to dry my hair or finish getting ready for the day. Grace settled on my bed to watch Sesame Street and asked for milk. Grace drank her big sippy cup of milk and watched Big Bird while I dried my hair. After a few minutes Grace started to cry followed by large amounts of throwing up. My bed including pillow was soaked through. It was a mess. I got Grace in the tub and washed. Just as I was about to pull her out, she pooped in the tub. It was a bad fifteen minutes.

Finally today Grace stopped throwing up. It was five full days of sickness. Over the last week I have been thrown up on at least six times. I have done more loads of laundry than I can count. I have missed sleep, worried, cleaned, and held Grace just about all of her waking minutes. It is my job. I am a mom.

Now, I did not tell you this extremely gross and detailed story just to whine. During this week of exhaustion and cracked hands from too much washing, something occurred to me. There is no where else I would rather be. Don't get me wrong. I would rather be on a warm beach watching my healthy children frolic in the sand. But, if one of my sweeties must be sick, I want to be the one they are throwing up on.


No comments:

Post a Comment